Monday, December 22, 2014

30-day Bikram Yoga pass!

I'm usually not that interested in yoga and prefer running or doing using the elliptical when I exercise (which isn't often o__o). However, I found out that a Bikram Yoga studio near my house has a new-student promotion that offers unlimited classes for 30 days for $35, and me being the typical Asian I am, calculated that if I went five to six times a week then that would be less than two dollars per class! I couldn't let this opportunity go by, so I signed up last Wednesday and went to class the next morning.

Bikram Yoga, for those of you who don't know is a sequence of 26 yoga postures performed in a heated room of about 105°F. I don't know about you, but I would feel pretty nervous about doing anything in 105°F temperature! Of course, I went in there not knowing either of these, haha.

Here's a little infographic I found online regarding the different poses:
Bikram Yoga Pose Sequence
Infographic by Cherie_bon 


My Opinion:
To tell the truth, the Bikram Yoga session actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There was a lot of balancing and flexibility required, but having done ballet from elementary school to the end of high school, these two came pretty naturally to me.

As for the heat, I actually didn't even realize it was 105°F! It was definitely warm, but not suffocating. I sweated A TON, but the heat actually felt pretty nice in my opinion~ I just need to invest in nicer yoga activewear <3

Bikram Yoga Benefits:
There are a lot of benefits to Bikram Yoga. In addition to the overall benefits of Bikram Yoga and yoga, the 12 standing poses and the 14 floor poses have their individual benefits.
Overall benefits of Bikram Yoga:
  • Improves posture
  • Increases flexibility and balance
  • Builds muscle strength
  • Improves circulation and immune function
  • Removes toxins from the body
  • Reduces stress
  • Aids in weight loss
Benefits of standing poses:
  • Opens pelvic area
  • Relieves sciatica and arthritis
  • Improves circulation
Benefits of floor poses:
  • Improves function of the central nervous system, digestive system, and reproductive system
  • Relieves lower back pain
  • Eases constipation
  • Lessens symptoms of scoliosis
Anyhow, that's all I have for now!

Have you guys tried Bikram Yoga before? What do you think about it?

10 comments:

  1. Oh very nice place sweetie
    Thanks for share you have a lovely blog
    Now I´m following you in Bloglovin´# 4 I hope your follow me back
    Comment to me back to keep in touch
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bikram yoga but it has been years since I've done it! Your post reminded me that I need to get back into the practice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the nice comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You should~ I never thought I'd like it, but it's actually really fun! And to be able to see yourself get stronger and more flexible is really awesome too! The poses look really cool too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a huge fan of Bikram yoga and have been practicing for almost two years. It makes me feel amazing! As long as you're well hydrated, the classes aren't too bad.


    xoxo, Amanda Raye

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's so cool that you've done it for almost two years already! I've really liked all of the classes I've gone to for Bikram yoga so far. However, one thing I had a hard time with is that the poses are the same each time, so even after a couple weeks, I was already starting to lose interest! :( Do you have any suggestions as to how to keep each session interesting/exciting? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once you get comfortable with the poses, start pushing yourself a bit. Do a deeper backbend, go deeper in camel, and ask an instructor if you're doing the poses correctly. I'm STILL getting corrected sometimes. And give yourself challenges -- see if you can stay in the standing head to knee pose the entire 30 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the suggestions Amanda! I'll keep them in mind for the next class~

    ReplyDelete